As one of the most favorite cities for traveling, Bangkok always has new places to visit, including new shopping malls, night markets, hangout spots, bars, and of course many new hotels / hostels to accommodate the many types of travelers who visit.
It’s not easy to choose which hostel / hotel for your stay because there are lots of options and considerations such as strategic location, facilities, services, and prices.
Luckily, this time I found CHAO Hostel from an Instagram post.
CHAO is located near BTS National Stadium, at the 8th floor of Siam @Siam Building. It’s so easy to find. As soon as the elevator door opened, I immediately fell in love with this hostel. The ceiling is decorated with various forms of decorative lamps – very artsy and creative.
On the wall, there is a mock-up 3D map Siam-Pathumwan area and its surroundings. And the coolest thing is a famous quote from Tim Cahill written on the floor: “A journey is best measured in friends, rather than miles.”
I stepped into a very spacious room, wide open, bright with stylish and elegant design, just like being in a lobby of a luxury hotel. The reception desk is in the corner. Across from the reception, there is a cozy, relaxing dining room with plenty of tables and chairs. The check-in process was quick.
On the first day, I stayed in the female dorm. To reach it, I passed through the foyer where there are lots of beanbags and artistic decorations on the walls. To get into the room I had to use an access card. Wow, the room is so big! With only 6 beds, there is a wooden swing in the middle of the room, couches in the corners, shower room and basins.
Here they don’t use bunk beds. The top part is the bed, and the lower part is a storage/locker. Not like other hostels where the toilet / shower room is usually outside or in another room, here the shower rooms and toilets are en suite. With two shower rooms and 3 basins, you never have to queue a long time to use it.
In the common room I find a very cozy setting and relaxing atmosphere with lots of sofas, beanbags, large TV, DVD player, computer, some board games, and a mini library with many (new) books that are even still wrapped in plastic. 😉
At night, I climbed into the bed to sleep and saw that near the pillow there is a lamp, electrical plugs, and space for storing small items. The bed was comfortable, not hard as in some hotels and other hostels in Thailand. According to the manager, they use the same mattresses as Marriott Hotel. Well, it’s a guarantee that I’ll sleep well tonight!
The next morning, I went to the dining room for breakfast. They provide coffee, tea, toast and jam, and some Thai snacks. We can choose to sit near the glass wall, at the middle table, on a bench, or on the floor with a Thai triangle pillow.
In addition, there is a small lounge with some books near the front desk and also a semi-outdoor smoking area with swings and, you guessed it, beanbags! Looks like this hostel deserves the title of Hostel With The Most Beanbags!
That night, I moved to a private room. The design is minimalist but effective, with a s hower room en suite. With a large queen-size bed, a large window, table, rack for hanging clothes, LCD TV and a beanbag. Love this!
Overall, staying at CHAO Hostel that just opened 5 months ago is a right choice. Although it’s named a hostel, the facilities provided exceeded many hotels.
In fact, there are some aspects that are much cooler! CHAO should be named “Boutique Hostel.” Some things for consideration:
1) Location, location, location!
- This hostel is located in a prime location in downtown Bangkok, where within a 3 to 15-minute walk, you can visit many attractions like the Jim Thompson Museum, Bangkok Art & Culture Centre, MBK Siam Square, Siam Paragon, etc.
- Free and fast internet 24h / day
- Common Room with TV, computer, mini library, board games, movies collection that you can use to relax
- Free snacks all day, and coffee for breakfast
- Smoking area
- Washing machine
- Storage room
- Free map
3) Other services:
- They have private room en suite, mixed or female dorms.
- The level of coziness and very “Instagrammable” design interior
- Crews are friendly and able to communicate with proper English.
- Beer, soft drinks and frozen food that can be purchased in-house
- Elevator to the 8th floor
- The cleanliness – immaculate!
- Access cards and CCTV for security purposes
4) Many public transportation options are available, such as:
- BTS National Stadium, or just 1 station from BTS Siam. You can explore Bangkok comfortably using BTS without the risk of traffic jams.
- Hua Chang pier for a boat ride to explore the khlongs
- Bus stop for other destinations such as Chinatown, the Grand Palace, Khao San Road, etc.
So, what are you waiting for? Go book a bed or room in CHAO and enjoy an amazing stay in Bangkok !